Thursday, September 1, 2011

Homemade Freezer Jam!




OK I wanted to get into canning and then heard that I can’t can on my ceramic/glass top range. They were wrong I can can. (haahaa I said cancan), I just have to use special pots and be careful about it. Anyways before I figured that out, I heard about freezer jam and decided to give it a try so I could do something with the fresh fruit this time of year and save some cash! Here is the result!

I first made blueberry freezer Jam. Then my family and I went out and gathered WILD huckleberries!! It was so much fun! They are smaller then blueberries so we didn’t get much. My husband and I put ours in a bag, our 4 year old picked and dropped about half of what she picked and our 1 year old didn’t see then need for putting them in a bag since his mouth was so much closer! LOL ….

Anyways huckleberries are much smaller then blueberries so I didn’t have enough for a recipe and didn’t know what to do. Everyone up here said mix them with raspberries to make jam. So I did! Actually I ran out of raspberries so had to add a few strawberries too!

And this morning I made strawberries freezer jam! I put some bread in the bread maker and we will be eating fresh bread and jam this afternoon!

I use Sure Jell in the Yellow box, freezer Jam recipe is inside for a bunch of different fruits. Make sure the containers you use are freezer safe. Really for most fruit all you need is the fruit, sugar, pectin (the powder inside the Sure Jell box) and some water and freezer safe container to put it in. Note that freezer jam is a bit more runny then store bought jam. Also I would put it into smaller jars the freezer jam is good up to a year in the freezer but once you thaw it and put it in the fridge it needs to be eaten in 3 weeks. Mine wont last that long ….. we will eat it before then!

Buying the stuff to start making freezer jam did cost a bit, but now that I have the things I need … its just the cost of the fruit, pectin, and the sugar and if you grow your own garden its just the sugar and the pectin!

No comments: