Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Black Bean and Brown Rice Burgers

Serves 4
2 c cooked black beans cooled
2 c cooked brown rice cooled
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder

Take the 2 c black beans and mash them in a bowl.  Add half brown rice, garlic powder, onion powder and stir with a spoon, keep adding rice until the mixture is thick. 

Heat some canola oil in a pan on the stove. Form bean mixture into patties and place into pan for a few mins each side.

Add to your hamburger just like you normally do!  I used whole wheat hamburger buns, mayonnaise (next time I will try Vegonaise – I just bought it at the store today!) mustard (that’s vegan), dark leafy green lettuce, red onions, a slice of cheese (tried soy cheese – NOPE and YUCK!) and a sliced tomato.  Next time I will also add my homemade pickles!

NOTE – I am going to try this with pinto beans and salsa for a more southwestern flavor.

Most beans mixed with rice will be a complete protein.

No comments: