Friday, March 16, 2012

Swiss Health Nut Cereal (granola)


I got this recipe when I was in my teens in May 1989 we made this at church for our Mothers on Mothers Day (my mom didn’t really like it, but I did so I kept making it!), and I cant tell you how many times I have made it since!  And now it’s a favorite of my family!  The first is the version I received many years ago.  Its Vegetarian.  I put the vegan replacements in parenthesis.  I hope you can get as many years of enjoyment out of this recipe as I have!  Its great even for a family who eats meat! I ate this for years as a full fledged Carnivore!  Lol!

Pre heat oven to 390 degrees F

2 cups Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
½ cup Wheat Germ
¼ cup Sesame Seeds (I usually leave these out)
½ cup Flaked Coconut
½ cup Chopped Walnuts (you can use any nuts you prefer)
½ cup Raisins (my husband likes it with Craisens too)
2 Tbls Lightly Packed Brown Sugar
½ cup Honey (I used light Agave)
¼ cup Vegetable Oil (I used Canola Oil)
1 teas Vanilla

Stir all ingredients it will be a bit clumpy, especially if you are using honey, the agave mixes better then the honey does.  Spray a 9 by 11 glass casserole dish, and evenly spread mixture into pan.  Place in oven and bake for 5 mins.  Take it out and stir.  Repeat 2 or 3 more times (total cooking time 15-20 mins for more toasted cooked the extra 5 mins, but its ready and all mixed at 15 mins)

This can easily be doubled.

Before it cools too much, place any left over’s in Tupperware serving sizes.  Once it cools it gets a bit stiff, so having it in serving sized containers make it easy to reheat. You can just put it in a microwave safe bowl and reheat about 20 seconds, make sure to put a wet paper towel on top, to help with the moisture content.

No comments: