Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Black Bean, Rice and Veggie Salad


Serves 6-8
¼ c canola oil (you can use olive oil, canola is healthier)
¼ lime juice
1 t ground cumin
1 ½ c cooked brown rice (or basmati or jasmine) cooled
1 (15oz) can black beans – see note
1 (15 oz) can corn rinsed and drained (use fresh when possible)
1 c finely diced carrots
1 c chopped and seeded tomatoes
¼ c  finely chopped parsley
3 T finely chopped cilantro
¼ c finely chopped red onion

Cook rice according to package directions and cool.  Chop and drain other veggies.  Mix altogether and serve. May be served at room temperature or chilled.  May be made up to one day in advanced and truth be told we like it better on the second day so I recommend this.

NOTE – I cook a HUGE batch of beans and rice and put it in the fridge and then used what I needed to different meals.

My family and I started eating this LONG before we decided to try giving up meat.

No comments: