Saturday, March 21, 2009

My verdict on Stenciling t-shirts

OK I had fabric spray paint that I tried on the turquoise shirt and I thought it might have bleed because the fabric was too stretchy, so I tried it on a regular t-shirt. NOPE it bleed again. I say 100% do not waist your money on fabric spray paint it doesn't work!
Notice how light the black gets after just one wash (the actual design!) the shirt on top has only been washed once!
This is after one washing too. The turquoise shirt has a stencil by paint brush on top (I don't like the looks that much) and the fabric spray paint on the bottom. ICK ICK ICK!
This is the Krylon indoor/outdoor flat black spray paint, after one wash! PERFECT!
This is the Krylon indoor/outdoor flat black spray paint, after two washes! STILL PERFECT!

And this is the whole reason I started this journey ... I wanted to make this t-shirt. And after all that I messed it up! LOL its OK it was a good lesson. Because the stencil is so intricate the plastic is thin. I needed to spray MORE adhesive to the back of the stencil so it would stick better to the t-shirt AND it was windy when I was taping off the shirt with newspaper and it got folded and wasn't flat and that pulled the t-shirt just enough to lift the stencil and allow the over spray that you see instead of a crisp line. So I am OK with this boo boo cause I learned a very good lesson! And the t-shirt is a craft one, so its not totally expensive! I will remake it right the next time!

The moral of this story is use indoor/outdoor spray paint, take your time with the adhesive and make sure that all you paper lays flat while you are taping it down. Be patient with the many coats you have to do .. and then it will come out alright!

2 comments:

Hiraeth said...

What kind of adhesive do you use to stick the stencil to the t-shirt?

Suzie said...

I bought it in the craft isle next to the wall paint stenciles. Its a spray paint can and says repositional Stencil Adhesive Spray. Stencil Ease. I hope that helps, it REALLY rocks!