Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What to do with your left over fabrics?

Ok so you have made an outfit, what do you do with all those leftover’s? I know people who just toss them in the trash and I shudder! But what you can do with the leftovers depends on the fabric and the size.

One of the first thing I do I make doll clothing for my daughters. I refuse to make Barbie clothes - just too tiny, but I have friends who do that. I do make them for my daughters Cabbage Patch Kids and American Girl Dolls, both of which has patterns you can buy in today's pattern catalogs.
Then from the scraps of dolls clothing, I cut out 3 different sized squares. I went into the quilting section and then found different sized squares so you can easily cut them out. I am planning on making a scrap quilt just like my great grandmother used to make. But if you don’t want to make a scrap quilt - you could match the colors of the scraps and sell them on eBay to a quilter. I will add that quilters are picky and you need to cut very carefully and only on the bias if you plan to sell them, you wont get rich but you will be keeping the landfills from being over full with useable items. But seriously, just make a quilt for your spare room or for those super cold winter nights. When the lights are off the person only cares that it is warm, not what it looks like.

Cotton fabrics are good for quilting, all other fabrics I would save for doll or baby clothing. And consider if you make something for your daughter, make it for her doll too, you will be the best mom on the block! Other craft ideas to consider are covering a photo album, accessories like a purse or head wrap, belts, vests or maybe clothes for you pet? Just look through the pattern booklets you may be inspired!

No comments: