Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Renew Reuse Recycle – its called Upcycling!

I have mentioned that I love recycling. I truly believe we need to start taking better care of the Earth, the environment, and our communities. And I believe that it starts with me. If everyone had this belief I think we would be in a lot better place(s). Something I hear is “but what can I do?” like just one person wont make a difference. Well you probably wont go down in history for it – but you can make an impact in your life and the lives of those around you.

You don’t have to do big things. You can do small things that maybe no one will notice, but you will. OK so what am I aiming at? I got to thinking today as I was rummaging my local thrift store that I need to help teach people how to use a thrift store. There is so much to be found there that is still useable, albeit with a little effort. There is a new term for this and its called Upcycling.

Clothing – LOVE IT! I get a lot of my kids and my clothing from thrift stores. My Husband is a brand snob and wears larger sizes that I just cant find there, so he gets his clothes new, and we can afford that because we save on other clothes! When you see something in a thrift store, don’t just see the item and think of using it how it is, maybe you can alter it in a way that will be pleasing to you! On of my favorite magazines is “Altered Couture” every issue is jam packed with ideas on how to make something from something else! Maybe just dieing it – will make it new again! Maybe there is one stain on an otherwise awesome shirt, how about an appliqué to cover the stain? There is some much you can do. Also in the fancy dress section, I look at color and textures and amount of fabric in the dress …. I can take it apart and make something completely different from one or two dresses for a fraction of the cost of buying the materials new! This is call upcycling.

I don’t buy used socks, undies or swimsuits. Sometimes shoes but only if they look barely worn. And check out the home goods section, a chair that sat in a little old ladies room and barely used would be a great addition to your house! And if the kids ruin it – no biggie…..

I have kids – I see no point in buying a huge set of matching dishes that will get chipped (that doesn’t bother me in the least) or cracked or just plain broken. A thrift store is a great place to buy pieces …. Not whole sets. I have also found lids to my corning wear that had gotten lost over time. Glasses to drink from. My two favorite stirring spoons are giant old silver spoons – yup you guessed it, thrift store finds! Take them home, run them threw the dish washer with the sterile cycle … and poof! No worries about the germies!

Bedding – honestly I don’t buy that in thrift stores, I can go to discount stores and buy it new for just a few dollars more.

So the lesson is – go try out your thrift store and if they don’t have what your looking for, is there some way to get what your looking from pieces of what you can find?

No comments: