Friday, March 20, 2009

To Buy Real or Fake’s?

OK I am assuming that I am talking to people who are struggling to pay for the things in life that they “want.” I will start this out by saying that most of us think we need things that are really wants, myself included.

I live in SoCal, that is snobbish fancy talk us Southern California-ners call ourselves. I live in a city where we have down on 1st street homeless shelters, and government housing/section 8 housing. By 30th street getting closer to the beach the houses start going for close to a million depending on your lot size and view. And with in 5 miles up the coast houses, check that … town homes, in a golf course on a cliff next to the ocean are “starting at the low 2 millions”.

So I see the whole spectrum of income levels around me. Before getting my degrees in firefighting I was pursuing a degree in fashion design (huge switch I know). So I have a better then average knowledge of fabric/clothing and the industry.

And I observe the people around me. Do you want to know what I see? I see the poor people saving up to buy really nice name brands. I hear them in the discount stores saying, “Oh that is an expensive name brand, you should get it” Then on the isle over I see some people with quite a bit more money, also shopping for discount name brands.

Also a lady I used to work with would bring in catalogs of her moms for me to look at. Her mom has TONS of money and VERY rich snobbish person and I always admired her jewelry. Well one day one of the catalogs she brought in was her jewelry catalog, I was overjoyed to just look at it. Guess what?? It’s all FAKE! I asked her about it and her mom always buys fakes whenever she can find it and it doesn’t LOOK fake.

So I want you all to think about that thing you want. Name brand – sometimes they are good because you will get quality. Sometimes you are just paying more for a label. On day I bought something from Victoria’s Secret (a sweater) that night I went to Target and saw the exact same sweater for 50% less at Target! Even the brand label was the same! SHIESH!

Also consider that in down town LA we have the clothing factories that make the clothes. And it’s not for special brand, the shoppers for that brand go around and pick out what they want, buy it take it to there business and sew there label on it and then sell it to you! So a big name brand (VS) and a cheaper company (Target) will be buying the same thing and selling! Every company is different but do some research on the brands you are buying; know what you are buying and where it made

I know a jeweler, he was telling me that most couple are buying CZ’s for there big stone in there wedding rings. Then on a later anniversary they replace it with a real one. Then on the other hand I know a few friends who have spent big money on nice rings … then after a few years of abuse being a stay a home mom they hit it just right and the lost the stone. And what did they do? Replaced it with a CZ because its just too expensive to replace.

So think about it the next time you “want” something. First do you really need to buy it? Second can you get the same thing/ quality some other way? Know how the “rich” people could afford it? Because they hold onto there money too!

No comments: